[Info-vax] mail puzzle (I know the answer)

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Sun Jan 25 20:19:13 EST 2015

On 15-01-25 10:00, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> way NOT to do it is to create TCPIP$SMTP_COMMON:FOO.DIS and put FOO
> inside it, since this will result in an infinite loop.  There is a
> workaround, though.

I am not sure of this, but try putting:

_FOO
_FOO at node.domain.tld
node::FOO

VMSmail handles _FOO for direct delivery, bypassing any forwarding or
logical names if I recall properly.

node::FOO would get the SMTP symbiont to deliver via VMS MAIL at which
point the lookup of TCPIP$COMMON:FOO.DIS is not made.

Another way you could try:

put FOO2 in the .DIS file. And then use MAIL> SET FORWARD to point FOO2
to FOO. This way the SMTP symbiont will tell VMSmail to deliver to FOO2
and not really know it is going to FOO.