[Info-vax] OT: "HDMI 2.0 cables"

Neil Rieck n.rieck at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 26 07:51:48 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:05:15 AM UTC-5, MG wrote:
> What an incredible scam, I noticed that some places are now
> offering "HDMI 2.0" cables... while those don't even exist.
>
> How many people will be suckered into buying imaginary "HDMI
> 2.0" or "HDMI 4K cables"...?
>
> Then people talk about file sharing/piracy, that /that/ is
> supposedly killing the 'computer industry' (and what-not).
>
> If this kind of cutthroat racketeering was what DEC 'lacked'
> all these years and that's why VMS 'failed', then maybe it
> should be considered a badge of honor almost.
>
>   - MG

"I don't think" what I am about to is a scam, but HDMI is considered obsolete so you will require a DisplayPort cable to connect to anything higher than FHD (Full HD). On top of that, the term 4k is a marketing phrase invented by the retail community which includes the Consumer Electronics Association. Why not 4k? Since 1920 isn't really 2k then 3840 isn't really 4k -AND- true 2k (2048 x 1084) and 4k (4096 x 2160) technologies were developed for commercial use as part of the Digital Cinema Initiative. The correct term for 3840 x 2160 is UHD. Then there is UHD+ (what many call 5k) and FUHD (Full Ultra High Definition) what many call 8k.

HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, and DVI as Fast As Possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38sotYHqtA

Neil Rieck
Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.