[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

MG marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl
Mon Jan 26 11:40:23 EST 2015

Stephen Hoffman schreef op 26-jan-2015 om 01:45:
> <http://www.itworld.com/article/2875112/ibm-is-about-to-get-hit-with-a-massive-reorg-and-layoffs.html>

	«Cringely said the mainframe and storage areas will see deep
	cuts, which is pretty stupid considering IBM announced the
	new Z13 mainframe and hopes it will stimulate sales. That
	won't be easy when you cut the people who are supposed to
	sell it. Cutting storage is also foolish, as we are in the
	era of Big Data and Data Lakes and storage is vital to these
	concepts.»

IBM and HP should join, so they can do a synchronized nosedive!

I found this part also quite funny, from the author's mini-biography:

	«[A] freelance journalist based in southern California who
	has covered the computer industry for 20 years and has built
	every x86 PC he’s ever owned, laptops not included.»

(That's supposed to be noteworthy, impressive, etc. ... his claim
to fame?)

> Maybe VSI starts up an outsourcing cloud business for VMS sites?

How do you mean, by just 'not bothering' any longer with VMS and
helping existing VMS users to move to (Linux[?]) cloud-based
alternative solutions... or?

  - MG