[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Tue Jan 27 00:04:17 EST 2015

Kerry Main wrote:

> Outsourcing has many faces .. one model is based on outsourcer
> simply taking over mgmt of the existing tech/staff resources at the
> existing DC.

But, does the new IT management really understand the required tasks?
Do they have the same desires as those who's main task is to see the
company prosper?

> Whether the business case works or not really depends on what
> the C level decision maker wants to accomplish i.e. reduce staff
> costs while Increasing OPEX with a monthly charge may make sense
> to him.

Sometimes those C levels you write about are bean counters, not someone
who knows the business.  Need I mention Robert McNamara?

> Since staffing is typically 60+% of most IT budgets, reducing staff
> costs is the real issue under the covers when C level execs start
> talking about "moving to the cloud".

And when they save a few dollars, and the company later on fails?

Every business that actually "makes" things should have a rule.  "No
bean counters or lawyers in a position to make decisions."  Usually they
are incompetent to do so.