[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

D W dean.woodward at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 10:41:49 EST 2015

On 1/26/2015 11:39 AM, Stephen Hoffman via Info-vax wrote:
> Hosting VMS, for VMS customers.  This opportunity is pretty obvious
> for a vendor with licensing rights to VMS and related products,
> particularly if the vendor can create and manage pairs of data centers
> located within range of clustering and HBVS, and preferably on
> separate electric and communications grids and drainages.

You can do most of that in one building. The Colocation site we use gets
power from two separate grids unlikely to be heavily loaded at the same
time (Sports stadium on either side) and gets data from three telco
trunks. I can't imagine what it would take to flood that area- it'd
probably have to be biblical.

> Irrelevant? Sort of.   Also sort of important, too.  Customers with
> applications operating on VMS today are probably going to want those
> to be run on VMS servers, whether emulated or actual servers.  For
> VSI, it'd probably be easiest to host Itanium guests, at least
> initially.   Maybe eventually on x86-64 guests, once VSI gets the VMS
> code ported and then once somebody gets the customer applications ported.

A VM would be great. Something like FreeBSD's jail(8) (Did any of the
Galaxy stuff survive the Alphacide? but that's more HW based than I'm
thinking) would not only do the trick for providers, it'd be nice to
have in general. Take several smaller customers wanting clustering and
let them each have slices of different machines.