[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Tue Jan 27 11:15:00 EST 2015

On 2015-01-27 15:41:49 +0000, D W said:

> On 1/26/2015 11:39 AM, Stephen Hoffman via Info-vax wrote:
>> Hosting VMS, for VMS customers.  This opportunity is pretty obvious for
>> a vendor with licensing rights to VMS and related products,
>> particularly if the vendor can create and manage pairs of data centers
>> located within range of clustering and HBVS, and preferably on separate
>> electric and communications grids and drainages.
>
> You can do most of that in one building. The Colocation site we use
> gets power from two separate grids unlikely to be heavily loaded at the
> same time (Sports stadium on either side) and gets data from three
> telco trunks. I can't imagine what it would take to flood that area-
> it'd probably have to be biblical.

Yeah, but when the {insert nasty product} being {manufactured, used,
stored, transported, intentionally released} upwind goes {insert nasty
event}, and you can't get into the location for a week?

Power grids, too, have suffered cascading failures.

Murphy, after all, was an optimist.

>> Irrelevant? Sort of.   Also sort of important, too.  Customers with
>> applications operating on VMS today are probably going to want those to
>> be run on VMS servers, whether emulated or actual servers.  For VSI,
>> it'd probably be easiest to host Itanium guests, at least initially.
>> Maybe eventually on x86-64 guests, once VSI gets the VMS code ported
>> and then once somebody gets the customer applications ported.
>
> A VM would be great. Something like FreeBSD's jail(8) (Did any of the
> Galaxy stuff survive the Alphacide? but that's more HW based than I'm
> thinking) would not only do the trick for providers, it'd be nice to
> have in general. Take several smaller customers wanting clustering and
> let them each have slices of different machines.

Galaxy is largely firmware based, and Galaxy could — if somebody were
inclined to heavily customize the ACPI support — be deployed with
customized UEFI code.   OpenVMS has picked up the hardware
configuration from the console, and the Galaxy firmware provided a
coordinated form of subsetting.    Customized or extended UEFI is not
trivial and would tend to be server-model-specific, but it does remain
possible.  But no, Galaxy didn't make it to Itanium, and the same
general difficulties that encountered would also apply to x86-64.

OpenVMS can already run in a VM, via certain (and now older) versions
of HP-VM product on Itanium.   There's little reason to assume that a
VM won't be in the mix (eventually) on x86-64, if/when the port is
completed and native boot support is added.   Presently, emulators can
be guests.

Jails and sandboxes, VMs, and Galaxy instances are each rather
different beasts.