[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Tue Jan 27 09:59:05 EST 2015

Stephen Hoffman skrev den 2015-01-27 13:04:

>> Sure, but I specificaly commented to the part that said "outsource to a
>> distant data centre". We have a lot of barcode scanners, PLCs and
>> thermaltransfer label printers. Hard to run in "the cloud".
>>
>> I do not think that we will see a large part of the remaining VMS market
>> move to "the cloud".
>
> I expect it'll be increasingly typical to see VMS environment similar to
> yours outsourced, and VSI may well be in a position to do exactly that.  If
> VSI does decide to get into outsourcing, then they may take over at least
> management of the servers, and install tools that greatly automate that
> processing — these are basically the same tools they'd use to manage their
> own data centers, after all.  That you have local scanners and the rest is
> interesting and relevant, though whether those devices continue to go to
> local servers, or are transmitted via proxies to remote servers, depends on
> the costs involved and the stability of the communications links.

As usual, "it depends", of course. In this case we need sub-second
respons times for the lines not to stall. That includes reading
of the scanner, application processing including Rdb update and
generating Zebra printout and actual print the label.

It is a single DS20e, it will certenly remain inhouse
until replaced.

Now, who is *managing* the box is another matter. That has
been "outsoruced" (to me) since 8 years and now mostly
moved to another company.

Purly theoreticaly, I could have a hat saying "VSI" and
that would not change much since noone on-site whould
see my hat anyway... :-)