[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Tue Jan 27 10:42:39 EST 2015

On 2015-01-27 14:59:05 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> As usual, "it depends", of course.  In this case we need sub-second
> respons times for the lines not to stall. That includes reading of the
> scanner, application processing including Rdb update and generating
> Zebra printout and actual print the label.

Sub-second response is feasible on most servers and on most any
terrestrial link; on anything short of a satellite link.  Now as to
whether that's cheaper and more effective than leaving the box where it
is, that's a local determination.

> It is a single DS20e, it will certenly remain inhouse until replaced.

So have you figured out when it'll be appropriate to replace that DS20e
box yet, if replacement is not already appropriate?   If it's not
already appropriate, under what conditions that replacement might or
will happen?

> Now, who is *managing* the box is another matter. That has been
> "outsoruced" (to me) since 8 years and now mostly moved to another
> company.

Have you figured out who's going to replace you (either cooperatively,
or competitively), and how they're going to do that?

> Purly theoreticaly, I could have a hat saying "VSI" and that would not
> change much since noone on-site whould see my hat anyway... :-)

Another obvious consideration: how you (or your new VSI ownership)
becomes more efficient with these boxes.  Though they still work, DS20e
boxes are technical fossils, after all.

Barcode scanning and label printing isn't exactly difficult; it's the
maintenance of the business logic around that processing that matters.
If anything, your application looks ripe for off-site hosting, save the
price of a local Windows or Linux box — or a VMS box on x86-64, if
those appear — is still pretty cheap.