[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Sat Jan 31 12:14:29 EST 2015

"the cloud" is just another name for selective IT Outsourcing. There
are pros and cons. Like most outsourcing models you do not need to
outsource everything. This applies to ALL platforms.

The typical approach is to look at what is "tactical" vs. what is "strategic".

Backups, User Mgmt, Print/Queue Mgmt, Network and Storage Mgmt,
Patching etc are typically considered tactical and are the usual candidates
for outsourcing.

Governance, Vendor Mgmt, Strategy, Security Policies, App Mgmt are
usually considered strategic and are seldom outsourced.  If there is
not a lot of strategic App development going on, then App Mgmt
might also be a candidate as well.

What you get with outsourcing - offload day to day mgmt of low level
IT management activities, reduction in staff head count in return for a
set monthly OPS charge which appears in a different part of the books.
This can make a company look healthier from a financial perspective
e.g. the often quoted "revenue per employee" statistic.

What you lose from outsourcing - ability to respond quickly to change
(everything is a change request (CR) & anything out of scope requires
a CR and/or a statement of work if bigger than a CR). This needs
approval on both sides of a company and is typically excruciatingly
painful. You are also still responsible for any issues as your Cust's still
hold you responsible for any outages that impact them. You also are
dependant on the outsourcer to maintain security - again you still are
responsible for all that happens. You also lose some flexibility to be
more proactive in terms of issues that might impact the business e.g.
more proactive companies will integrate alarms, events into an OPS
Bridge which does smart filtering and sends email/SMS texts to the
appropriate company folks that need to be aware of this. In
outsourcing world, you would lose this unless you were willing to pay
big $'s for additional custom integration work to be done. If there is an
outage, you call the vendor help desk and queue up with everyone
else.

Here is good example of "the cloud" model not being understood &
what can happen (AWS company went out of business due to lack
of cloud security and not following IT best practices, like off-site
archives)

http://tinyurl.com/nd9j3v8
"CodeSpaces.com shut down after a hacker gained access to its
Amazon EC2 account and deleted most data, including backups"

Whether you call it a cloud or selective IT outsourcing, the pros and
cons are basically the same as they were a few decades ago.

Each company needs to determine whether they consider IT as
a strategic advantage or simply a necessary cost to be managed
(read costs cut).

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com