[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Tue Jan 27 11:18:19 EST 2015

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

> Sure, but I specificaly commented to the part that said
> "outsource to a distant data centre". We have a lot of
> barcode scanners, PLCs and thermaltransfer label printers.
> Hard to run in "the cloud".
>
> I do not think that we will see a large part of the remaining
> VMS market move to "the cloud".
>
> Jan-Erik.

Ya know, I think I could make an argument that you're not involved with
IT.  Yes, you're using computers, but you're basically doing
manufacturing.  Definitely arguing symantics.  But, for at least some
things, you're not so much into data as you're into controlling
machines,  Correct?

I cannot imagine outsourcing the controls on the manufacturing machines.

But, what do I know ???