[Info-vax] OT: "HDMI 2.0 cables"

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Tue Jan 27 15:56:55 EST 2015

MG wrote:
> Dirk Munk schreef op 26-jan-2015 om 20:56:
>> No, that's exactly the point. HDMI 1.4b specifies a maximum clockate
>> of 340MHz, and cables up to match that clockrate. However HDMI 2.0
>> specifies a clockrate of maximal 600MHz, without specifying matching
>> cables. Difficult to understand isn't it?
>
> You still haven't shown me a "HDMI 2.0 cable".  Wasn't my question
> clear enough?  (On the subject of difficulty to understand things...)
>

>> No, not really. A short cable of a certain type may be capable of
>> handling a certain clockrate, a longer cable of the same type may not.
>
> Why do you keep trying to change the subject?  Also, can you prove
> that?  (With anything other than your own prattle, i.e. something
> authorative.)
>

>> So quality, clockrate, and cable length influence each other.
>
> Oh really?!  I would've never guessed.  But, here's some news for
> you, that wasn't the subject matter.
>

>> Why don't you ask the HDMI organization where they are?
>
> Because HDMI Licensing (that's the organization you're probably
> thinking of) has already answered that, oh stubborn one.
>
> It's actually fairly humorous how you're not 'giving up'.
>

>> I don't have to show you a HDMI 2.0 cable.
>
> Sure, you don't 'have' to... more importantly, you simply can't.
>
> Here, I'll just end your torment here.  This is from the president
> of HDMI Licensing:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDpFXVWSgU#t=137>  (From 2:17
> onward.)
>
> But I'm sure you know it better.
>
>   - MG

That was a very interesting video. As John Wallace already stated, the
HDMI guy said they don't specify cables any more, they just require a
certain signal level (and quality I presume) at the other end of the
cable. He also said that the HDMI cable he had with him was capable of
transporting 18 Gb/sec. Now that is interesting, because cables
specified in HDMI 1.4b have a maximum rate of 10.2 Gb/sec, and HDMI 2.0
has a maximum data rate of 18 Gb/sec. So my conclusion is that he was
showing a HDMI 2.0 cable. Happy?