[Info-vax] how to do a search for just today's info

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 28 15:22:10 EST 2015

On 2015-01-28 19:59:46 +0000, pcoviello at gmail.com said:

> I would love to run a newsreader but unfortunately here at work I am
> somewhat limited in my ability to access certain sites/ports. :-(

Probably only administratively.  In practice, it's usually trivial to
bypass most institutional firewalls, short of those few that are
configured as a full-on block for everything.  You can VPN via various
protocols, such as HTTPS and DNS, for instance.   Though there can
occasionally be folks managing firewalls that will take umbrage at
anyone that expose the flaws in the local security assumptions.  I just
drill out via an iPad and cellular carrier.  That's less controversial
than a tunnel bypass, as far as the folks running the network firewall
are usually concerned.

> and what I searched on, was several iterations of search, date, file.
> I did see one that was kind of close but not quite what was needed.

Probably just date-related and date-formatting search keywords, given
that's what you're after.   SEARCH itself doesn't care what you're
after and pretty much anything within the syntax constraints of DCL
will work, and SEARCH usually works with files.  (Not that I've even
tried using SEARCH with a mailbox...)

Distilling down the question — much like creating a reproducer for a
software error — tends to help clarify the question, and is often a
much quicker way to get to a solution.