[Info-vax] BACKUP to nfs-share, some files are modified

wolfgangburgerunread at gmail.com wolfgangburgerunread at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:13:14 EST 2015

Hello,

I´m in the process of copying some files off a VMS-cluster.
The cluster will be shut down permanently and I would like to keep some of the files.
I have limited knowledge of VMS so I have to work with what is already installed.

It seems like the most viable way is to mount an nfs-share under VMS, and copy the files and directory structures with the integrated BACKUP-command.

I´ve noticed, that some of the files got changed (corrupted) in the process.
So far all the corrupted files I´ve seen are MS-Office files.

The corrupted files are slightly bigger than the originals and there seems to be some logic involved.
For example the byte 0x0A, when followed by 0x09 gets replaced by two or three (random?) bytes.

It looks a lot like a botched ftp-transfer in ASCII-Mode.

I don't see this effect when I copy by ftp (in image-mode) or "copy"-command.

It also does´nt happen when I "backup" from one local disk to another.
Only to this NFS mount.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Best,