[Info-vax] MONO (.NET) for VMS

Craig A. Berry craigberry at nospam.mac.com
Thu Jan 29 09:32:42 EST 2015

On 1/29/15 7:34 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> On 1/27/2015 4:38 PM, Richard Maher wrote:
>> Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to port MONO to VMS?

Gaitan D'Antoni told me at a TUD in 2005 that HP had decided not to do
it and to focus on Java instead. Ten years later, with HP winding down
its involvement with VMS and with Microsoft releasing .Net under an MIT
license (portions of which will be incorporated into Mono) it might be
worth another look.

> The last time I looked, it needed a whole load of support libraries
> ported just to get started.

It claims to have very few external dependencies.

It does have one very big internal dependency. You have to have a
working Mono C# compiler in order to build it. So figuring out how to
get the bootstrapping compiler up and running would be the first step.
More info at:

<https://github.com/mono/mono>

> Now that GNV has been improved, it may be more practical to start
> porting those.
>
> I have not looked in a while, but you probably need a current ncurses,
> and all the components for a current GTK+,

I don't know about curses, but it has its own libgdi implementation
based on Cairo:

<http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/libgdiplus/>