[Info-vax] Installing OpenVMS 8.4 on Integrity rx2800 with no local disks

Tom Wade nospam at void.blackhole.mx
Thu Jan 29 15:36:10 EST 2015

Hi,

I have to install OpenVMS 8.4 on an Integrity rx2800 i2.  It has no
local disks, only SAN storage.  From what I can see, this system cannot
boot from the DVD due to lack of support for the SATA DVD drive in the
base O/S.

The article describing this,

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02962662&sp4ts.oid=5033573

states that "This issue has been elevated to OpenVMS Engineering
requesting OpenVMS 8.4 patch V0500 be released on CD, but as of yet it
has not happened."  Does anyone know if this is still the case ?  Is
there a HW version DVD release?

I have access to an rx2600 (currently running 8.3).  I was considering
using this machine to install 8.4 with patch UPDATE5 on a USB stick, and
trying to boot that on the target machine.  Is this feasible ?

Thanks for any pointers

Tom Wade