[Info-vax] MONO (.NET) for VMS

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 17:40:25 EST 2015

On Thursday, 29 January 2015 15:58:51 UTC, Stephen Hoffman  wrote:
> [...]
> and the OS is just a dependency for the application, too.
>
> Sharing dependencies was very important when disk space was tiny and
> expensive, or when memory was short, or when the dependencies are huge,
> but disk space and memories and cores are rather less of a constraint
> nowadays.  There's been the VMS DLL hell involving OpenSSL in recent
> years, and other open source projects will encounter the same, as their
> APIs evolve.
>
> Years ago, many folks -- including myself -- were grumbling about how
> applications written in higher-level tools and frameworks were using
> more and more memory, and more and more processor, and more disk.
> Remember the discussions around how much larger Alpha images were, than
> VAX, and how much larger Itanium images were than Alpha?  Or for the
> old folks here, the grumbling over the use of high-level languages,
> rather than using a proper assembler, or the wastefulness of 4GLs
> rather than 3GLs?     Well, we now have a whole lot more memory, and a
> whole lot more cores, and a whole lot more disk space -- and we still
> don't like paying for it, of course.
>
> In comparison with the Good Old Days, my phone now has more storage and
> more memory and more cores and faster graphics than many of the early
> Alpha systems, and more than most of the VAX systems.
>
> Are there still cases where disk or memory or cores are short, or when
> scaling means managing a whole lot of systems and guests, many of which
> are running less than fully configured?  Sure.  Solve those cases and
> those problems, and you'll a product that might interest some folks.
> But then, I don't think you're going to get there with single system
> image, nor with app stacking as it's currently done -- there are too
> many unresolved dependencies and collisions lurking.
>
> Getting back to my question, solving current problems is interesting.
> How does single system image and sharing a disk help, given how easy it
> is to blast in a new disk image?  The firmware in the computers I'm
> using can perform the equivalent of a MOP bootstrap and a software
> install over an Internet link, after all.
>
> >> VMS certainly looks well placed to solve (1)?
> >
> > Shared hosting for a partitioned linux host (simulated VM) is about $1
> > U.S./month.  This looks like a real server to most applications, but is
> > actually isolated using security features....
>
> Mr Maher is likely referring to the resource and data sharing of
> clustering, here.  Not to shared hosting.
>
> > For VMS to get its foot in the door for that market, the provider may
> > need to be able to meet those entry price points.
>
> While intended to refer to shared hosting and not clustering, his
> comment definitely applies to anybody that's trying to chase Windows.
> Even if VMS comes free with the x86-64 box, folks are going to want
> some prerequisite applications, and will want their own applications.
> Having Mono isn't nearly enough to get even a toe-hold.

Devil's advocate time.

"How does single system image and sharing a disk help, given how easy it
is to blast in a new disk image? "

Maybe, just maybe, it gives you one system image to patch every Patch Tuesday,
rather than one system image to patch per application?

"Single system  image also means that one corrupted disk volume or some
sort of infestation will take out multiple boxes"

No worse than a LAN-wide malware infestation in a Windows setup, then?

"Why try to resolve the prerequisites, when you can create a package
that  contains and isolates all the dependencies for an application?"

It's Patch Tuesday. Can anybody out there point me at an explanation
of how Windows Update updates Side by Side assemblies in such a way
as to fix every instance of the DLL being patched. Same question for
the replacement of SxS?

Side by side assemblies were introduced with W98Se and W2K in an attempt
to mitigate some of the nightmare known as DLL hell. One consequence of
SxS is that every application gets installed together with its
own personal copy of its dependencies (much as Hoff posits). Side by
side assemblies have in turn been replaced by something else, which iirc
basically makes every version of a DLL a logically independent library...

"the whole idea of trying to compete anywhere near head-on
with Microsoft and Windows"

Why bother. The modern Microsoft is quite capable of shooting itself (and
its Microsoft partners) in the foot. This isn't the Microsoft of the
1980s-2000s any more. This Microsoft thinks the cloud is the ONLY answer,
the Microsoft cloud, regardless of what its customers think. This MS
thinks that applications on desktops won't count for all that much longer.

"VMS also lacks tools to easily load applications and layered products
and compilers"

Whatever did happen to VAX RSM (RSM = Remote System Manager, which did
remote/pre-configured OS and layered product software installs and more
way back in the 1990s, on VMS and Ultrix), after it was Palmerised (?)
into Polycenter Software Distribution ?
DTJ: http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/dtj/vol6num4/vol6num4art6.txt
SPD: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP2959/SP2959PF.PDF

DIGITAL had it then.
Micrsoft. Bringing you 20th century technology in 2015 (apologies to
wherever I borrowed that from).