[Info-vax] Now that's targeted advertising!

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Jan 29 18:44:23 EST 2015

On 2015-01-29 23:37:06 +0000, David Froble said:

> Jojimbo wrote:
>> Browsing my local newspaper site and guess what ad Amazon displayed?
>> Vms internals and data structures!  This internet thing is getting more
>> creepy all the time. Jim
>
> I haven't actually researched it, just observed.  When I look at a
> product, perhaps on selected web sites, I believe that something is
> stored on my computer, possibly a "cookie", and in future use of a
> browser, ads for that product appear.

Cookies?  Stored locally?   You're a few years behind.
<https://panopticlick.eff.org>   More recently, Verizon Wireless and
AT&T tagged all of of your device web traffic with a unique identity,
and that identity was made available to every web site you visited.

> An interesting idea, putting in front of you things in which you've
> showed a prior interest.

Ayup.  That's how Google monitized their efforts with search.

> Some might consider this "intrusive".  I'm still rather neutral about
> it.  Just because it's on the screen doesn't mean I have to read it.

It's not intrusive right up until Target announces you're pregnant, or
some other faux pas.
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/>