[Info-vax] Users of OpenVMS

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Jan 30 14:54:24 EST 2015

On 2015-01-30 18:22:38 +0000, Jay Braun said:

> Hello.  I'm an old user of VMS, and have been working on Linux for the
> past 15 years or so.  Are there still a lot of users of VMS?  In what
> inudstries?

Some usage still, yes.   There are still some VMS users and systems
around, and these are almost entirely the same sites and folks that
were probably around and using VMS fifteen years ago.    A number of
sites have migrated off, of course.  Or have administratively frozen
their VMS systems, as is common with embedded configurations.

There's still some new VMS activity, too.  A company called VSI — VMS
Software, Inc <http://vmssoftware.com> — has acquired rights to create
new VMS versions from HP, and they are just starting up the field test
process for their first new VMS release; what they're calling the
V8.4-1H1 "Bolton" release.

Where VSI might get with this new development effort, we shall learn in
the fullness of time.

If you want to try to remember DCL, you can telnet into
eisner.decus.org and request an account through the automated
registration system available there.