[Info-vax] Users of OpenVMS

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Sat Jan 31 10:12:06 EST 2015

When you look at the Partners, packaged solutions and general
Inadequacies, getting accurate reporting of numbers like this is
Very difficult - for any vendor. HP is no different.  Especially after
going through approx. 10+ different local / regional / corporate
contract/call handling & reporting systems over the years like HP
/ Compaq / DEC has done.

With each different system migration, those not on current contracts
were typically dropped.

For Cust's under extreme pressure to reduce costs, it's hard to
justify spending big support $'s for something like OpenVMS that
seldom breaks. [reducing support $'s to keep Cust's was not even a
consideration in most cases as this was a different internal org]

What HP BCS views as OpenVMS Cust's is maybe 5-10% of the actual
OpenVMS Cust base.  The TS Support org can likely provide a bit
better estimate, but as per prev comment about different reporting
system changes, maybe could hit 25%.

I strongly suspect big companies like IBM and Oracle who have done
many acquisitions and who have big partner models would be in the
same boat.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com