[Info-vax] Users of OpenVMS

Arne Vajhøj arne at vajhoej.dk
Fri Jan 30 19:42:01 EST 2015

On 1/30/2015 2:04 PM, Doc Trins O'Grace wrote:
> I go way back to V1.3 of VMS myself. I read somewhere recently that there are still something like 100,000 "installations" running VMS.
>
> Others here -- more in the know -- may be able to give you particulars.

That sounds unrealistic high to me.

I am pretty sure that there was only a few hundred thousands VMS sites
back in the VMS peak late 80's. And I would expect a pretty big portion
of those to have migrated off since then.

Something in the 10000 magnitude sounds more realistic.

Note that the number of systems are higher than the number of
sites as many VMS sites has multiple VMS systems.

Arne