[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Sat May 2 00:42:33 EDT 2015

More of a question for VSI obviously but I thought I'd ask here in case others have heard more or know more or have a fully functioning crystal ball :-)

As OpenVMS is ported to what-ever (x86, ARM, xyz), It would be interesting to know if VSI's intent is to open source OpenVMS where possible or keep it a closed source system

For example, it was announced that there would be a new TCP/IP stack for OpenVMS

Since it is being listed as 'new', I'm making the assumption that it's really new as in a re-write and not a patch up of an old one with fancy new wheels / shiny new paint job

That being, I'm wondering if VSI will be open sourcing the new stack or keeping it closed

I'm aware of the Sourceforge open source repository but that really blends itself to ports of linux tools / utilities, not core OpenVMS

I don't see the disclosure of such intent as a business confidential thing and in fact may pip the interests of other companies/individuals/teams out there to take an interest and perhaps participate?

I can understand that anything derived from HP's current code base probably comes with all manor of vampire clauses to extract monies where-ever possible but as time progresses and as modules are written, reworked and even scrapped and renewed from new, then it would be interesting to know what direction/intent VSI have towards open sourcing OpenVMS

At some point, assuming the OS lives long enough, most things would have been rewritten and might eventually be free from the shackles of the HP licencing restrictions, it would be interesting to know if VSI have the intent of releasing OpenVMS to the greater community or whether they intend on keeping it closed