[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

hb end.of at inter.net
Sun May 3 17:25:45 EDT 2015

On 05/03/2015 11:06 AM, Hans Vlems wrote:
> Correct, but the cause was a missing correct EFI entry for the cloned
disk. The physical device proved alright once the EFI entry was provided
(via boot_options.com)
> Hans

To me a cloned disk means an identical copy, block by block, byte by
byte, bit by bit.

You didn't clone the system disk. The GUID is in the second and last
block of the system disk and as far as I understand these blocks
were/are not copied by backup/image. (The image backup is -
intentionally - different in other places as well, but that doesn't
matter for booting.)

To make a clone, I would use foreign mounted disks and COPY, or
BACKUP/PHYSICAL (which I couldn't try: BACKUP-F-LOGIONOPRIV). The unix
tool dd should do also, no matter whether you use it from GNV (and know
what 'dd: failed to open 'lda34:': i/o error' means) or any booted unix
system.

I think a cloned disk will work as you initially expected: to be
bootable in the unchanged EFI boot environment. Maybe, if you don't
remove the original system disk, EFI will complain about two disks with
identical GUIDs. Maybe it boots just from the first (or last) disk with
the known GUID: I have no idea and can't test it. But if you remove the
original system disk, the system should boot from the clone.

Also, bootable in this context is not clear to me. If you mean bootable
from the EFI boot menu, or automatically at power on, then the VMS image
backup of the system disk is not bootable. But as mentioned in other
posts, you can always get into the EFI shell and select the cloned disk
and boot VMS. This is not really an option for the system disk, but it
is more than "good enough" for a VMS distribution disk. To me this looks
like the disk is "bootable".

As mentioned in other posts, COPY from the DVD image (sometimes referred
to as the .iso file, which you get as an hobbyist) to a foreign mounted
disk makes that disk "bootable". And, because you usually boot from that
disk only to install VMS, it may not be (and never was for me) worth to
make that disk bootable from the EFI boot menu. When installing VMS, the
target system disk will be entered into the EFI boot menu and that's all
I needed.