[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun May 3 18:07:04 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-03 21:25:45 +0000, hb said:

> I think a cloned disk will work as you initially expected: to be
> bootable in the unchanged EFI boot environment. Maybe, if you don't
> remove the original system disk, EFI will complain about two disks with
> identical GUIDs. Maybe it boots just from the first (or last) disk with
> the known GUID: I have no idea and can't test it. But if you remove the
> original system disk, the system should boot from the clone.

What EFI does with a clone is indeterminate — hopefully you get an
error, but I would not bet on it.   EFI requires all partitions to have
unique GUIDs, so the case of multiple identical copies "should not
happen".

> As mentioned in other posts, COPY from the DVD image (sometimes
> referred to as the .iso file, which you get as an hobbyist) to a
> foreign mounted disk makes that disk "bootable".

If the disk image starts from a DVD, then the result of the COPY will
not be bootable on OpenVMS.  You will first have to reset the boot
block data structures with a SET BOOTBLOCK command.