[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Bob Koehler koehler at eisner.nospam.decuserve.org
Mon May 4 09:02:14 EDT 2015

In article <4798fba4-9c29-475e-aa3f-1985b2a02849 at googlegroups.com>, IanD <iloveopenvms at gmail.com> writes:
> More of a question for VSI obviously but I thought I'd ask here in case oth=
> ers have heard more or know more or have a fully functioning crystal ball :=
> -)
>
> As OpenVMS is ported to what-ever (x86, ARM, xyz), It would be interesting =
> to know if VSI's intent is to open source OpenVMS where possible or keep it=
>  a closed source system

   I don't think HP gave them that option.  HP still owns the IP.

> For example, it was announced that there would be a new TCP/IP stack for Op=
> enVMS

   There are already stacks available that have a much better reputation
   than the one they're using.  I'm hoping they integreate one of those,
   rather than start from scratch.  And I would expect the original
   vendor to continue to own the IP.