[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Neil Rieck n.rieck at sympatico.ca
Tue May 5 08:04:40 EDT 2015

Let's put our cards on the table. The number one reason why people want Open-Source software is because its free. But is it really free? Companies like RedHat start with Open-Source software then curate it into something supportable. When any person or company wants to use supported software from RedHat, they buy a support license for RHEL. When those same people want to use unsupported software they might "take their chances with CentOS"

p.s. Android is a curated version of Linux

We all have memories of VMS software being very expensive (some say that this is the reason why "$" is the default prompt for DCL). Software prices dropped when VMS/OpenVMS came under control of Compaq. Prices dropped even lower when everything moved to HP. During the last 40 years, "the business model" moved from "very expensive with free updates for life" to "less expensive to buy" and "additional support (including patches) optionally available to those requiring it". Now I have no idea why HP outsourced OpenVMS support to India but clearly that did not work out. Thankfully, a new arrangement was made with VSI, who then hired some very talented people with a passion for products in this niche.

So if costs are a concern, you could get a quote for new licenses from "Island Computers" (I just got one and they are lower than you would think) then decide if you need a support contract from either VSI or HP (at the time of this writing I am not aware of any pay-walls at VSI so would "assume" that if you signed an agreement with them (VSI), they would get you access to HP's patch maintenance site)

Just my 2-cents worth

Neil Rieck
Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.