[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Mon May 4 12:23:41 EDT 2015

In article <mi4hbh$281i$1 at news.kjsl.com>,
	helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
> In article <d190e3c9-4336-4f74-b958-c1df6354c4fb at googlegroups.com>,
> seasoned_geek <roland at logikalsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> When you are OpenSource, you cannot be trusted. That means you cannot be
>> used to run critical systems for the NSA and other "alphabet soup"
>> agencies. They don't have the luxury of loading something as soft as
>> Windows or Linux
>
> I Red-Hat guy told me once that their largest customer was the U.S.
> department of defense.

Probably indirectly.  FBCB2/Blue Force Tracker is an application that runs
on top of RedHat Linux.  It is contractor provided and none of the people
other than PMO (and SME's like I was before retiring) are aware that there
is any kind of OS at all.  All they see is the application.  Well, except
when it crashes, and it does.  :-)

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |