[Info-vax] New HP OpenVMS Web Site, Web Site Reorganization, Broken Links

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon May 4 18:03:46 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-04 20:57:26 +0000, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER said:

> In article <mi82aj$mij$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
> <seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>

>> The responses to the http://www.hp.com/go/openvms shortcut are now
>> returning web pages from the http://www8.hp.com server.
>
> It was http://openvms.compaq.com for me (for many years) and its over now.
> (It used to forward to http://h71000.www7.hp.com - which is also gone).

HP had some name for the shortcut URLs — don't recall the term they
were using for those — and the HP web folks did (inexplicably) try to
get folks not to bookmark the direct links, as those were supposedly
volatile.  Alas, everybody did bookmark those links, the server host
names were volatile, no link continuity was implemented, and, well,
here we are.

h71000.www7.hp.com is not actually gone; it answers, but there's some
sort of a redirection that's blocking most of the access.  You can get
to h71000.www7.hp.com via the www8.hp.com server.  Just not "directly".
 Unfortunately, once you start clicking around, the rewrite or
redirection or whatever's (mis?)configured here then 404's you.

>> Link continuity was apparently not implemented, or not completely
>> implemented.   This means that existing http://h71000.www7.hp.com
>> references go... nowhere.  You're going to be seeing a whole lot of
>> dangling links, until the search engines catch up with the new web site
>>  location and organization.
>
> What search engines? HP's? Are you kidding?

DDG and Bing lately, but I did try HP's search tool for this case.
I'll refrain from further comment on the HP search tool.