[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed May 6 13:12:30 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 10:09:28 AM UTC-5, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> Could you point out where I wrote that?  While I did indicate that the
> build -- back when I was familiar with it -- was complex and it was very
> much tailored to the then-current clusters, but nothing precludes
> simplifying and productizing the build.  Productizing the build would
> be a moderate-sized project, and the complexity here comes largely from
> the scale.   The build is a collection of specific tools and data
> files, and a whole lot of DCL.

Hoff, you are a highly intelligent individual. When you state something is complex and that _you_ had difficulty setting it up when you had "direct" access to the people responsible for it . . .

> There are no specialized hardware requirements, beyond the entirely
> unsurprising "more is faster".

Currently one needs something other than a sub $300 X86 to build it on, correct?

> >> There is also the issue of all the conditional compilation in the
> >> source code which exists for military and/or very high security
> >> clearance eyes only.
>
> That's a new one.  Never heard of that version of OpenVMS before.
>
> I've never heard of a military or high-security or variant version of
> OpenVMS, beyond Security-Enhanced OpenVMS; SEVMS.  The SEVMS package

I first became exposed to it while working on a project for DEC back when they had the Elk Grove Village office. This was when the Alpha was still being worked on and some time near/post Compaq consumption. I was not working on a clearance related project at the time, just an inventory management one, so my exposure was limited to whatever those who had worked on it happened to say. I had no interest in poking or prodding. I do know the features/enhancements were conditionally compiled in and those who worked on it claimed the stuff was developed at the behest of some area of DOD. For all I know it could have been a one-off for Great Lakes. Perhaps we are both speaking of SEVMS, but your description doesn't sound like what I was told.

Stumbled into the entire thing via help requests/bug reports for lexical functions and system services which referenced parameters that didn't exist in any of the documentation I had access to on the system. When I asked for clarification I was told the little I have posted here some 20+ years later. All of the DEC people I was working with seemed to know about it though.