[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Wed May 6 16:14:31 EDT 2015

seasoned_geek wrote:

>> Could you point out where I wrote that?  While I did indicate that the
>> build -- back when I was familiar with it -- was complex and it was very
>> much tailored to the then-current clusters, but nothing precludes
>> simplifying and productizing the build.  Productizing the build would
>> be a moderate-sized project, and the complexity here comes largely from
>> the scale.   The build is a collection of specific tools and data
>> files, and a whole lot of DCL.
>
> Hoff, you are a highly intelligent individual. When you state something is complex and that _you_ had difficulty setting it up when you had "direct" access to the people responsible for it . . .
>
>> There are no specialized hardware requirements, beyond the entirely
>> unsurprising "more is faster".
>
> Currently one needs something other than a sub $300 X86 to build it on, correct?

I'm willing to bet my "betting dollar", (which I no longer have since
losing it to Bob), that the 2 EV6 and one EV5 based systems I have could
perform the build, if I had all the code and procedures.  So, no, the
hardware should not be a problem.

If you use emulators, yes, today's sub $300 x86 systems could perform
the build.  If an old VAX could do the job, today's HW would be much faster.