[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Wed May 6 23:38:39 EDT 2015

On 15-05-06 22:03, Robert A. Brooks wrote:

> It's not as exciting as a new file system, but we do have plans to
> go through all the documentation and do a thorough review.  What
> the end goal isn't clear (to me, yet).  I do know that we have contacted
> a few of the old DEC doc writers who helped make the VMS doc set
> the gold standard.

Some time ago, I needed a usable MOTIF documentation, found some core on
the web and made it more usable.

http://www.vaxination.ca/motif/index_frames.html

So when programming, it becomes fast to find the routine, and within the
routine, you can click on links to additional information (such as
Vendor Shell which describes the options you can use in that class or
argument)

Not saying that this is the best (and frames have fallen out of favour),
but something quick and efficient without a gazillion logos

Early in the VMS-on-PDF, the PDF files were built with a proper index
that had all the sections in the sidebar so you could quickly go to one
and more importantly glance at the topics covered in manual and click as
soon as you find the relevant one.

As a point of comparison: when I use expensive Adobe products, they no
longer come with documentation. I have to use Google for any questions I
have, and 90% of time, it leads to user generated content, not official
doc from Adobe. It sucks.

In the good old days, you could peruse the actual manual and see
functions you didn't know existed.  Now, you only seek info for stuff
you need now, and may not know of a function that would do what you need
much faster.

I know the above is more "feeling" than hard suggestions. But maybe they
can be of help.