[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Wed May 6 12:53:19 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-06, seasoned_geek <roland at logikalsolutions.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 11:01:34 PM UTC-5, David Froble wrote:
>> seasoned_geek wrote:
>> >

>> > As was pointed out by Hoff. Building VMS from source requires
>> > phenomenal setup and significant resources.
>>
>> But once all the requirements are set up and available, many would be
>> capable of doing the build.  Not that I'm advocating such.  As I've
>> written more than once, the reason I wanted to see VMS open sourced was
>> to insure someone at HP could not decide to just delete everything.
>>

> Well, I trust Hoff when it comes to this and if he says few, if any,
> are capable of setting up such an environment, I believe him.

If the build process is as well documented as the rest of the VMS then I
would expect that someone competent with similar toolchains (and
obviously VMS itself) would be able to get there, though obviously not
as quickly as someone with direct experience of the build process.

It was after all transferred to India and back.

--
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals.                                            -- Winston Churchill