[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Thu May 7 04:53:30 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-06, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Here is a good example of why OpenSource:
>
> What Happens When Apple Buys a Company You Depend On
> http://www.wired.com/2015/03/apple-pulls-plug-tech-company-runs/
>

> Apple buys "FoundationDB"  (probably just hiring their staff) and the
> products are pulled from web site, no longer available, no longer
> maintained.

That one was on my list of databases to look at.  There was a rather
good tutorial on using it to analyse relationships in the publicly
available Enron mail database.

Their terms and conditions were probably a non-starter for anyone outside
the US though, since they wanted you to abide solely by the laws of their
state (Virginia?).

I was tempted to ask if a Green Card came with that :-))

--
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals.                                            -- Winston Churchill