[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu May 7 07:44:38 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 3:15:56 PM UTC-5, Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <3176a8dd-73a5-4ecd-aac4-b0edbeef01b4 at googlegroups.com>, seasoned_geek <> writes:

> >>    Not one of your arguments has anything to do with the platform, they
> >>    all have to do with the software.
> >
> > The have to do with the platform. Do a Web search for how many blades Amazon, Google, and the other major server farms fry in a day.
>
>    Irrelevant.  I've had many VAXen and fried a couple.  They've got
>    thousands of blades and fried a few.  SOunds like the same statistics
>    to me.

I guess you are really hard of hearing then. AWS has had massive outages multiple times all due to hardware failures. One outage stretched on for a week for many subscribing sites because Amazon fried sooooo many x86 servers in a single day they exceeded the JIT inventory system of their supplier.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/04/21/amazon-server-outage-knocks-major-websites/

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-outage-hits-site-globally-prevents-some-customers-from-placing-orders/

They are sear sizzling servers at such a pace they were forced to create the following site:

http://status.aws.amazon.com/

Just to inform customers what no longer works. It is not just Amazon. There is now an "is it down" site which checks every one of these companies trying to run a business on a joke of a processor known as x86.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/google.com.html

yimminy, it says HSBC, reddit, and delta airlines are down right now. While reddit would not impact anyone I know, it would well and truly suck to be stranded at an airport with a cancelled Delta flight and not be able to use your HSBC CC to book another flight on a different airline.