[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu May 7 08:37:32 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-07 06:23:59 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> Now, in todays web centric world, who would need a documentation *CD*?
> What is there on that CD that is not available on-line?
>
> (Yes, I know of the temporary troubles at HP, but I expect that to be
> solved in a few days...)
>
> Haven't used or seen a doc-CD in decades.

Yes, accessing the documentation via the web was pretty good, and still
better than a physical CD or DVD.   The web-based approach has some
issues though, around keeping local caches of current documentation for
offline and for slow-network use.   Yes, fast searches are also
possible, given an effective and functional search engine indexing the
web site.

In more recent times, I've become quite fond of tools such as Dash
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash-api-docs-snippets/id458034879?mt=12>,
which allows the selected documentation to be cached locally, and can
maintain and update the documentation cache, and collects together a
wide variety of documentation.   Bash, C, Rust, SQLite, Objective C, OS
X, PostgreSQL, man pages and a whole pile of other documentation is all
cached locally.   Among other upstream resources, Dash also integrates
with the Stack Q&A sites, so you can cache those discussions locally,
too.    Combine this with the gonzo-speed OS X Spotlight search —
OpenVMS SEARCH is utterly *glacial* in comparison — maintaining a local
library becomes easy, and the results are very effective.

Also fond of the integrated and context-sensitive information available
in Xcode, an IDE which completely and utterly demolishes LSEDIT.

But yes, the Y2K-era documentation web site that HP implements for
OpenVMS has and will work (eventually), and the PDF files can be
manually cached.

FWIW, the (other) common reason for CDs and for local caches of
documentation is to keep copies of documentation for retired products.
In your particular case, you probably have a cache of AlphaServer
server documentation, for instance.  For others, it's the docs for some
ancient OpenVMS version, or some long-retired product.