[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu May 7 10:52:08 EDT 2015

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Alan Frisbie skrev den 2015-05-07 02:28:
>> On 05/06/2015 03:35 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
>>
>>> Suggest you write a script to either fix the URLs in the .HTML to match
>>> the case of the filenames, or rename the filenames to match the case of
>>> the URLs.
>>>
>>> On VAX, Once converted some Motif HTML manuals and had to script edit
>>> all the URLs to remove spaces etc which VAX didn't support.
>>>

>>> Notifying VSI may result in VMS 9.0 having matched case sensitive URLs
>>> and filenames, but I wouldn't expect them to change 8.4 docset.
>>>
>>> The other option would be to go through a WEB server which *should* be
>>> case insensituve (or be set to be).
>>
>> There are plenty of work-arounds, as several people suggested, and I
>> certainly don't expect the v8.4 CD to be re-issued.   I just want to
>> help make it -- wait for it... -- "Fixed In Next Release."   :-)
>> (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
>>
>> Alan
>
> Now, in todays web centric world, who would need a documentation *CD*?
> What is there on that CD that is not available on-line?
>
> (Yes, I know of the temporary troubles at HP, but I expect that
> to be solved in a few days...)

As you yourself admit, there can be problems when depending on others.
It's not solved yet, right?

> Haven't used or seen a doc-CD in decades.

When you have limited (or no) internet connection, the online stuff
isn't so useful.  Having the documentation local, grey wall, orange
wall, optical, or other can be very helpful.

Yeah, I'm aware that you claim to have a decent internet connection, but
not everyone is so lucky, and even so, right now today, it isn't
helpful, is it?

I don't use optical, I have the documentation on a mirrored disk.  And
on a USB memory stick.