[Info-vax] HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event - held on 5 May 2015 - loose recap

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri May 8 01:09:47 EDT 2015

IanD wrote:

> The most interesting thing I found was just how much HP have been
> helping VSI with this whole venture (which is totally different to
> what I thought). The amount of work gathering source code (all the
> way back to and including the Vax I believe) was sourced from all
> over the place and off servers that had been shut down etc so as to
> hand over to VSI the most complete works for OpenVMS possible. The
> amount of effort HP must have gone through was incredible, it has
> totally changed by biased opinion towards HP having abandoned OpenVMS
> to one where it appears that HP want VSI to be as successful as
> possible with their OpenVMS venture. The view I had was one of HP
> ditching OpenVMS and getting a few bucks as OpenVMS is licensed out
> to now one of seeing HP as wanting VSI to be successful and they
> seriously have done so much work in handing over OpenVMS in the best
> form possible. John Egolf and the team of people at HP frankly left
> me rather gob-smacked as to the effort they put in to the
> transformation to VSI. It really is more of a partnership than a
> handover as I first thought

There are still VMS people at HP, and they were never the problem.  The
problems were those who would not allow the VMS people to do things they
might have wanted to do.  Like Stullard (mis-spelled?) with his "we
expect people to eventually port to HP-UX" and other such.  I'd also
guess it wasn't the VMS people still at HP that axed the Nashua group.