[Info-vax] HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event - held on 5 May 2015 - loose recap

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:29:13 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 3:09:11 PM UTC+10, David Froble wrote:
> IanD wrote:
>
> > The most interesting thing I found was just how much HP have been
> > helping VSI with this whole venture (which is totally different to
> > what I thought). The amount of work gathering source code (all the
> > way back to and including the Vax I believe) was sourced from all
> > over the place and off servers that had been shut down etc so as to
> > hand over to VSI the most complete works for OpenVMS possible. The
> > amount of effort HP must have gone through was incredible, it has
> > totally changed by biased opinion towards HP having abandoned OpenVMS
> > to one where it appears that HP want VSI to be as successful as
> > possible with their OpenVMS venture. The view I had was one of HP
> > ditching OpenVMS and getting a few bucks as OpenVMS is licensed out
> > to now one of seeing HP as wanting VSI to be successful and they
> > seriously have done so much work in handing over OpenVMS in the best
> > form possible. John Egolf and the team of people at HP frankly left
> > me rather gob-smacked as to the effort they put in to the
> > transformation to VSI. It really is more of a partnership than a
> > handover as I first thought
>
> There are still VMS people at HP, and they were never the problem.  The
> problems were those who would not allow the VMS people to do things they
> might have wanted to do.  Like Stullard (mis-spelled?) with his "we
> expect people to eventually port to HP-UX" and other such.  I'd also
> guess it wasn't the VMS people still at HP that axed the Nashua group.

I know first hand the arrogance of some arms in HP management. I would describe it as a faceless organisation in regards to internal management and it's treatment towards certain sectors within it

But then again, I'm biased. I worked for EDS which was then taken over by HP for many years before HP decided anything VMS related was to be off-shored

Obviously those remaining souls within HP went the extra length to make sure VSI  got the best start they could get - full credit to the HP VMS folk, it certainly turned my view of parts of HP around...