[Info-vax] HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event - held on 5 May 2015 - loose recap

clairgrant71 at gmail.com clairgrant71 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:13:25 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 4:29:51 AM UTC-4, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Jan-Erik Soderholm skrev den 2015-05-08 10:20:
> > IanD skrev den 2015-05-08 01:44:
> >
> >> My loose remembering's of the HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event on the 5
> >> May 2015...
> >
> > There have letaly been two events in Stockholm.
> >
> > One the 15-april with Johan Gedda (one of the investors in and
> > founders of VSI) and Clair Grant from VSI. According to the
> > invitation, Johan Gedda should present his former engagement in VMS
> > and his visions for VMS in the future. I'll asked the local Swedish
> > HP-Connect folks if there is any presentation material available.
> > This was a HP-Connect VMS-SIG event, b.t.w.
> >
> > The other event was also by the  VMS-SIG meeting the 5-May where
> > Kevin Duffy from Oracle had two presentations about Oracle 11 and
> > Rdb on VMS.
> >
> > Unfortuanly I could not visit either of these events.
> > If I get some material I can sum it up.
> >
> > Jan-Erik.
> >

> About Johan Magnusson Gedda, he has a LinkedIN profile:
> https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=201593
>
> And in an tech article he is described as:
>
> "VMS Software has a number of investors backing it, notably Johan
> Magnusson Gedda, one of the co-founders of Rocket Software. Gedda
> has engineering degrees from MIT and an MBA from Harvard. Rocket is
> based in Waltham, a techy suburb of Boston, and has expertise in
> providing tools for legacy IBM minicomputer and mainframe
> environments, among other things..."
>
> http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/08/01/upstart-breathe-new-life-venerable-openvms/

RE: Delaware - I don't know what the legal ramifications are but half the companies in the U.S. are incorporated in the State of Delaware, including HP. Our investor is Johan Gedda.

RE: HP VMS Team - I'm happy to see the appreciation for the HP VMS Team in India. They did an enormous amount of work in getting things in place to transfer to us. Seven years ago we sent our entire development lab to them - disks, computers, everything...and that's where they started their work. Last fall they turned all of that into 7 tapes worth of information that were sent to us to start VSI.

RE: New file system - Once upon a time there was a file system project called Spiralog which ended up not shipping but we learned a lot from it. A new project was started and in the 2007-2008 time frame we were deep into it. We plan to revive than work and finish the implementation. For those of you who were VMS Ambassadors back then you may remember a demo of the work in progress by Andy Goldstein at a meeting in Nashua.

Brett Cameron works for VSI.