[Info-vax] Removing the leading $ from commands in a new DCL language

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri May 8 09:35:13 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-08 12:34:08 +0000, Paul Sture said:

> One typical example might be a program written to accept user input but
> not have any other means such as DCL qualifiers to specify that data.
> What I would like to see in "New DCL" is a more comprehensive set of
> functions to get data in, wherever it may come from or whatever format
> it is in.

Getting at least as far as bash piping would be handy with whatever
replacement command line might (never) be implemented, but — if you're
going to overhaul things — Windows PowerShell has a far more flexible
(albeit also more complex) approach.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Pipeline>
<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347655.aspx>  Passing
whole files and passing whole wads of data around — as is common with
some other environments — is really handy in general, and more capable
than having to translate everything through a human-readable text
format — ASCII, MCS, UTF-8 — and not just for the character encoding
"fun", but because there's no good way to tag the particular metadata
involved within the text stream for (for instance) language.