[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Fri May 8 13:00:42 EDT 2015

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> > I guess you are really hard of hearing then. AWS has had massive outages multiple times all due to hardware failures. One outage stretched on for a week for many subscribing sites because Amazon fried sooooo many x86 servers in a single day they exceeded the JIT inventory system of their supplier.
>
> That sounds more like an environmental failure.  Had one of them here
> more than 15 years ago.  Temp in the (unmanned) computer room rose to
> over 100F on a weekend. Pretty much fried everything.  Server boxes,
> disks, all of it.  I doubt any VMS system would survive any better.

Oh, definitely wasn't temp related, at least not the massive ones.  VAX and Alpha hardware definitely would have survived better. My yimminy, there were micro-VAXs at Inland Steel in a very hot/dusty location where the sign outside the room read "Danger PCBs"

Quite simply it is a case of cheap worthless sh*t trying to be used for real work.

> So, with this utter disgust for the computer systems that the IT world
> has chosen to be their primary, what are you planning on doing for a
> living?  McDonalds?  WalMart?

http://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/

http://johnsmith-book.com/Index.html

http://www.infiniteexposure.net/

I also do embedded targets and help on a family farm. I broke my water well drilling rig really really bad so I don't dabble in that anymore. I actually miss that many days. To paraphrase Forrest, "Making a hole in the ground is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to hit."

Yes, I still get calls to do VMS development, but, I've been turning them down. I love the platform, but, I'm neither an illegal alien nor a terrorist who just needs a cover story and the money they offer would only appeal to those two categories of individuals.