[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sat May 9 11:21:42 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-09 13:50:15 +0000, Neil Rieck said:

> Lots of stuff to respond to but I think you misread one of my
> statements. HP did outsource "OpenVMS support" to India.

In its usual usage "outsource" means to move the work some other
company or some other outside entity, either within the same country or
in another country.   Yes, "outsourcing" can also involve "offshoring";
of moving the work to another country.    In the particular case you
are referring to, AFAIK HP consolidated software development and
escalation support work from one part of HP to another part of HP.
So... no.  There was no outsourcing.  Not unless you want to focus on
the different corporate components of HP as the basis for that
statement.

> Before that time, it appeared as if all the work was being done in
> North America as were all the webinars. After that event, L1 support
> still appeared to be done from an organization/server in Colorado while
> L3 work was split between North America and India (I think it depended
> upon the product). 95% of the webinars were hosted from India with one
> being hosted from New Zealand.

Personally, I'm far more interested with OpenVMS going forward and that
means focus on the VSI Bolton office, though the HP Nashua and HP
Bengaluru sites will undoubtedly serve as endless fodder for historical
discussions and debates.   Also likely as occasional fodder for the
diatribes or other weapons-grade stupid, which can only assist with
tuning local killfile settings.