[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun May 10 08:20:06 EDT 2015

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 8:18:13 PM UTC-5, clairg... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 2:09:06 PM UTC-4, seasoned_geek wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 9:59:12 AM UTC-5, Neil Rieck wrote:
> >

> > > After Balmer left Microsoft, new CEO Satya Nadella admitted that Microsoft had installed more Linux-based platforms into the Microsoft cloud than Windows-based platforms (the rumor mill claims windows platforms were responsible for most of the problems). On top of this, we were told that Microsoft also contributing code to Linux and might be responsible for 10% of the current Linux code base.
> > >

> > Back when I was writing this book:
> >
> > http://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/mono_book.html
> >
> > There was actual documentation, not rumor, but actual official word that Bill Gates and/or Microsoft was directly contributing to the development of Mono going on at Novell. Appears to be many different groups now that it has expanded to Andriod.
> >
> > http://webinos.org/crossplatformtools/xamarin-monotouch-and-mono-for-android/
> >
> > (Did not know that Novell had went completely under and is now owned by Attachmate. It took a few decades, but that case of 'Corporate HIV' they got from getting in bed with Microsoft really did kill them.)
> >

> > > I have always wondered why HP treated OpenVMS like the proverbial "red-headed step child" while continuing to promote HP-UX but lets be realistic: from a manager's 100-foot perspective, HP-UX and Linux are the same thing. Heck, I saw an HP article 2-weeks ago claiming they will develop something called Linux++ which will run "the machine".
> > >

> > The same reason HP elected to kill of the much loved Alpha CPU which had at least 5 years if not 10 years of enhancements left in it. HP didn't invent it. They didn't want to admit VMS was kicking UX's ass up and down every street they met on. They didn't want to admit the Alpha technology Intel was caught stealing red handed while working on the HP-Intel joint venture to create a 64-bit chip 10 YEARS LATE was way better than the Itanic they finally launched.
> >
> > Don't forget, when Itanic first came out UX was migrated and UX customers responded "even we are dumb enough to run that." So, they ported VMS and killed Alpha, thus forcing a bastardized chip out into a world which did not need, want, or have any use for that chip.
>
> COMPAQ stopped development of Alpha. Three senior engineers, long-time DEC/COMPAQ people, had been working with Intel and concluded that the best path forward was to move to Itanium. There was an extremely long and loud debate as to whether it was worth the effort to port VMS, whereas there was no debate about Tru64. Further development of VMS could have easily ended that day early in 2001. But, we were told to start planning the work. A few months later it was announced that HP was acquiring COMPAQ which was finalized in the spring of 2002. By that time we were nearly a year into the VMS port to Itanium.

COMPAQ stopped it _after_ they had already gotten into bed with HP. Killing their youngest child was the "proof of commitment" HP needed. The official announcement of COMPAQ didn't come until some time later. Make no mistake, it was HP which killed off Alpha so their bastard child could have a home.