[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sun May 10 13:25:27 EDT 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:01:10 -0400
Stephen Hoffman via Info-vax <info-vax at rbnsn.com> wrote:

> On 2015-05-10 16:34:42 +0000, David Froble said:
>
> > Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> > Well, I personally find it severely lacking in necessary details.
> >
> >> Microsoft very much understands the enterprise.
> >
> > Yeah, they understand where the big bucks can be had, and they've
> > brainwashed enough people to make it easy to harvest those bucks ..
>
> Windows solves the problems that many folks have.  If you have found or
> have created a better solution for those folks, well, have at...

Minor correction: Windows creates the problems that many folks have. It
simply created them first, in an easy to use way. Microshaft also engaged
in completely above board non-monopolistic business practices without ever
colluding with chip makers, electronics wholesalers or retailers, or PC
manufacturers, all in order to make sure things stayed that way.

Marketing beats technology every single time. Dumbed-down easy to use
graphical malware with a EULA beats stuff that takes some amount of
thought, regardless of how much better the latter might be.

Crapware wins. That's what WinTel has shown the tech world. Two of the
absolute worst products ever "designed" outsell everything else.

Ever buy a PC with a copy of VMS forcibly installed on it? If you don't
click CANCEL and NO, NO, NO three dozen times you just bought a copy of
VMS? You didn't get the VMS install disks with your PC and you want a copy?
Oh that's fine, just send 25 bucks for the media kit.

You'd like to buy a PC without VMS installed!? Hahaha, no you can't do that
and nobody has ever asked us for that. In fact, the price of the PC already
includes your VMS license.

Oh you bought a new PC with VMS on it and then you changed the system
configuration without our permission? You're going to have to connect to
VMS HQ so we can verify your installation. Don't worry, no personal
information is exchanged and this will just take a moment. Please wait...

> > What I don't understand is this aversion to independently implemented
> > procedures and such.

You never get fired for buying Microshaft. You should, but you don't.