[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun May 10 13:01:10 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-10 16:34:42 +0000, David Froble said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> On 2015-05-10 04:32:03 +0000, IanD said:
>
>>> I'd love to see an event logger like windows has on OpenVMS :-)
>
> Well, I personally find it severely lacking in necessary details.
>
>> Microsoft very much understands the enterprise.
>
> Yeah, they understand where the big bucks can be had, and they've
> brainwashed enough people to make it easy to harvest those bucks ..

Windows solves the problems that many folks have.  If you have found or
have created a better solution for those folks, well, have at...

> What I don't understand is this aversion to independently implemented
> procedures and such.

Your particular market for your products and services are comprised of
folks that have that aversion.  There are barriers in most areas and
most applications.  These might be certifications or reviews or
specialized knowledge or experience or available time or indemnity or
whatever.    Now as for your own aversions, you probably don't really
want to maintain your own BASIC compiler or your own run-time
frameworks, if the commodity choices and the available choices meet or
variously exceed your requirements.  If the available solutions do not
and if the work is to your benefit, then certainly roll your own
solutions.

> One size doesn't fit all.

True.   The folks that don't fit or don't want or can't use or can't
reasonably port to the standard solutions almost always end up paying
more, though.

> If someone designs and developes something that precisely fits their
> needs, why is this so much worse than generic stuff?

Usually because it's much more expensive to develop and maintain, and —
unless you keep spending — what you developed eventually falls behind
expectations.  Spreading and/or sharing the costs for what are common
functions is usually preferable.  It can also mean you get a better
option for less money.  I've written network communications stacks,
starting from the Ethernet frame level — doing multicast notifications
was really useful for a particular application I was working on.  But
writing a network stack is just not nearly as common an application
requirement anymore, as there are decent alternatives.