[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Mon May 11 09:51:50 EDT 2015

In article <mio0ek$vtd$1 at dont-email.me>,
	David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
> clairgrant71 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> COMPAQ stopped development of Alpha. Three senior engineers,
>> long-time DEC/COMPAQ people, had been working with Intel and
>> concluded that the best path forward was to move to Itanium.
>
> I'm old enough to remember this event.  But my memories were that many
> of the engineers felt the opposite of the "select few".
>
> Got to wonder what type of veiled statements about future employment
> might have been made to those select three ....
>
> My memories were that the systems people did a poor job with the
> Wildfire systems, that the chip people were less than pleased, and were
> taking much of the "systems" work and placing it on the chip for EV7.
>
> So, yeah, there was disagreement, and more, between the systems people
> and the Alpha chip people.

Sadly, I'm old enough, too.   :-)

But the thing I remember the most was how everybdy talked about what a
steaming pile of excrement the Itanium was 9and EPIC, for that matter)
and how Alpha would continue to lead it for years to come.  Until
Sadly, I'm old enough, too.   :-)

But the thing I remember the most was how everybdy talked about what a
steaming pile of excrement the Itanium was (and EPIC, for that matter)
and how Alpha would continue to lead it for years to come.  Until the
corporate statement supporting Itanium became official and then everyone
did an immediate 180.  Amazing how politics trumps technology every time.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |