[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun May 10 12:21:09 EDT 2015

clairgrant71 at gmail.com wrote:

> COMPAQ stopped development of Alpha. Three senior engineers,
> long-time DEC/COMPAQ people, had been working with Intel and
> concluded that the best path forward was to move to Itanium.

I'm old enough to remember this event.  But my memories were that many
of the engineers felt the opposite of the "select few".

Got to wonder what type of veiled statements about future employment
might have been made to those select three ....

My memories were that the systems people did a poor job with the
Wildfire systems, that the chip people were less than pleased, and were
taking much of the "systems" work and placing it on the chip for EV7.

So, yeah, there was disagreement, and more, between the systems people
and the Alpha chip people.