[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue May 12 13:21:45 EDT 2015

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 11:18:34 AM UTC-5, David Froble wrote:

> As for that hospital, didn't they do any due diligence in picking a
> solution?  Seems like the reported shortcomings are rather basic (sic).

I was just chatting with the nurse taking my father's info. Did not do a full analysis of the situation. I believe they did due diligence. I believe the bean counter MBA types didn't put integrated medical records on the list. They think "business unit" which creates data silos.

Let us not forget, this is one of those "expenses" which will be a benefit to us all as we age. The government decided to move it up on all of their lists.

http://www.medicalrecords.com/physicians/electronic-medical-records-deadline

This was part of the push to trim $60 Billion in Medicare/Medicaid fraud annually.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/01/02/hhs-mistaken-payments-grow-in-2013-fueled-by-60-billion-in-medicare-and-medicaid-overpayments/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/medicare-fraud-a-60-billion-crime-23-10-2009/

One of the news reports on this pointed out the fact all of the fraud was committed with paper forms. Regulations/law required Medicare/Medicaid to pay within X days of receiving a completed HCFA. Trouble was it took many more weeks/months to actually process the form. They issued checks before they could cross check any claims.

Quite a few scammers in Florida were interviewed from behind bars at one point. They all pointed out this was how they operated. Short lease a store front, toss a couple boxes of bandages on a shelf, start submitting thousands of claims for artificial limbs, motorized wheel chairs, amazingly expensive drugs. After a couple of months close up shop, move a block over and open under a new name, submit the claims all over again. Most said the only reason they were in prison was they tried to stay in one spot "just a little longer".

http://www.frankrubino.com/blog/2011/09/medicare-fraud-conviction-leads-to-35-year-sentence.shtml

Just think, if the people in that case had stopped and fled the country after only 7 years? A $180 million just wasn't enough...

At any rate, standardized electronic medical records can be cross-checked instantaneously. It will soon require a much more holistic effort to defraud Medicare/Medicaid.

One story I saw on the news was a gentleman who tried to point out to Medicare they should not have paid for multiple sets of prosthesis since he had _never_ had an amputation.