[Info-vax] Do you (or someone you work with) sysman on Windows?

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Tue May 12 18:15:35 EDT 2015

Stephen Hoffman skrev den 2015-05-12 21:23:
> On 2015-05-12 17:46:20 +0000, Steven Schweda said:
>
>>> [...] Why do they always rebuild the system disk from scratch???
>
> With OS X, that's usually an expeditious approach, as you can re-upgrade
> and reinstall OS X over itself, and *not* lose user customizations, nor
> user settings, nor add-on packages.  Very handy for resolving disk
> corruptions — hard disks can have from three to six hard errors per
> terabyte, per some studies.  Hardware RAID or HBVS helps, but not everybody
> has that configured and available.
>
> With OpenVMS, I've found that clean installs have benefits over continuing
> to upgrade ancient system disks, as well.

You mean not to have:

$ prod sho hist openvms
-------------------------- --------- ---------- --- -----------
PRODUCT                    KIT TYPE  OPERATION  VAL DATE
-------------------------- --------- ---------- --- -----------
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V8.4    Platform  Install    Sys 29-SEP-2012
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V8.3    Platform  Remove      -  29-SEP-2012
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V8.3    Platform  Install    (U) 15-OCT-2009
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V8.2    Platform  Remove      -  15-OCT-2009
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V8.2    Platform  Install        24-APR-2006
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.3-2  Platform  Remove         24-APR-2006
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.3-2  Platform  Install        24-APR-2006
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2    Platform  Remove         24-APR-2006
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2    Platform  Install        11-MAY-1999
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.1-2  Platform  Remove         11-MAY-1999
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.1-2  Platform  Install        06-DEC-1998
11 items found

There is nothing that we have identified as a problem
comming from this, at least.

   There's a whole lot less cruft