[Info-vax] rx2600 hardware question

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu May 14 05:05:13 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-14 07:42:43 +0000, Hans Vlems said:

> I have an rx2600 system with a slightly damaged motherboard. I damaged
> one of the small pins of the on-board connector that connects to a PCI
> expansion box.
> About a year ago I got a spare mobo and now I've time to start planning
> for the repair. I know, it's an old box and probably not worth much but
> it is the only Itanium I have.
>
> One question is about removing the processors, did they use cooling
> paste to improve heatflow? I have the special instument to remove the
> processors BTW.
>
> Are ther any other hidden problems to look out for?

The fine manuals are a good starting point for your quest, if you've
not already found and read through those.

Just the CPU-swappage section related to the immediate question...
  <http://www.istoragenetworks.com/servermanuals/zx6000_cpuupgrade.pdf>

The rx2600 Maintenance Guide, with details on swapping the CPU and
various other giblets.
  <http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-lpn04096>

Off-hand, I don't see the procedure for swapping the main board
specifically called out anywhere.  Well, other than "swap everything",
that is.