[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 11:15:39 EDT 2015

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10:04:21 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that the ZIP file for the BASIC compiler contains
> BASIC017_IGUIDE.TXT which, however, is actually
>
>                     DECnet-Plus_for_OpenVMS_____________________________
>                     Installation and Basic Configuration
>
> OK, "Basic" configuration.  :-|

LOL.  I'll double check my files to make sure that isn't checked-in.

> However, if one answers "1", then a) one is asked about some others and
> b) the default is sometimes no.  So, it is not clear what a "complete
> installation" means.  Is there any harm in always answering yes?

I suspect the defaults of "NO" for the "Full Install" was based back in the days of TU58s or TK50s.  Reading the next saveset takes time....  Today, it doesn't make much difference with DVDs.

I doubt anybody uses the BASIC Translator anymore.

One of my plans is to switch the remaining compilers that use VMSINSTAL (BASIC and Pascal) over to using PCSI to be consistent with the other compilers (I don't want to start another discussion on whether PCSI is good/bad/modern/etc.). I'll change the defaults and/or just eliminate some of the questions.